Healthy Eggnog... It's A Thing!
It's here. Christmas is in the air... and that air is a bit chilly so I have something that will keep you warm. Today's "Healthy Tip of the Week" will focus on a HEALTHY EGGNOG RECIPE for this holiday season. Living a healthy lifestyle is all about BALANCE. Indulging in your favorite treats occasionally allows you to have a healthy relationship with food. As a result, you won't feel the need to "cheat" along your journey. This recipe is great and super easy to make. There's even an option to add a little "spice" to it, only for ages 21 and over of course ;). Enjoy!
HEALTHY EGGNOG RECIPE
- 2 cups almond or coconut milk
- 2 large strips orange and/or lemon zest
- 1 vanilla bean
- 2 large eggs plus 1 egg yolk (vegan: substitute for 1 banana)
- 1/3 cup coconut sugar
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- White rum or bourbon (optional)
- 1/2 tsp of nutmeg
- Freshly grated cinnamon, for garnish
- Combine 1 1/2 cups milk (almond or coconut), 1/2 tsp of nutmeg, and the citrus zest in a medium saucepan.
- Split the vanilla bean lengthwise and scrape out the seeds; add the seeds and pod to the saucepan and bring to a simmer over medium heat.
- Meanwhile, whisk the eggs, egg yolk, sugar and cornstarch in a medium bowl until light yellow. Substitute eggs for banana if you'd like to make this treat vegan.
- Gradually pour the hot milk mixture into the egg mixture, whisking constantly, then pour back into the pan. Place over medium heat and stir constantly with a wooden spoon in a figure-eight motion until the eggnog begins to thicken, about 8 minutes.
- Remove from the heat and immediately stir in the remaining 1/2 cup milk to stop the cooking. Transfer the eggnog to a large bowl and place over a larger bowl of ice to cool, then chill until ready to serve.
- Remove the zest and vanilla pod. Spike the eggnog with alcohol of choice (1 1/2 oz.), if desired, and garnish with nutmeg.
Per serving (1/2 cup)
Fat 2 g (Saturated 1 g)
Cholesterol 96 mg
Sodium 59 mg
Carbohydrate 13 g
Fiber 0 g
Protein 5 g
Lay back on the couch and Treat Ya' Self!