Recipe - Shrimp Pasta with Tomato and Spinach
Last week I was looking for something light, but filling to make for me and the Ms. for Sunday dinner. I usually make pasta on Sundays as a sort of indulgence at the end of a long week. A big batch of pasta typically makes delicious leftovers and pairs well with a glass of wine.
When I stumbled across this recipe from Eating Well 101, I knew I was in for a treat! This Shrimp Pasta is flavorful and delicious. It's hearty and filling but not heavy like sauce-laden pasta can often be.
Okay, enough preamble, on to the good stuff:
- 2 tablespoons olive oil,
- 8 oz (220g) medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika or more, to taste
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1/2 Teaspoon Oregano
- 1/2 Teaspoon Basel
- 4 roma tomatoes, chopped
- 1/4 cup fresh basil leaves, chopped
- 6 oz fresh spinach
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 16 (440g) oz penne pasta
- 2 tablespoons high quality olive oil, optional
1. Heat a skillet at medium-low and add olive oil. Add shrimp, red pepper, oregano, basil, salt and pepper. Cook until shrimp is cooked through and tender.
2. In the same skillet, add chopped tomatoes, chopped fresh basil leaves, fresh spinach, and chopped garlic. Cook on medium heat about 3- 5 minutes until spinach wilts just a little and tomatoes release some of their juice. Remove from heat and adjust seasoning, if needed. Cover with a lid and keep off heat.
3. Cook pasta according to package instructions, until al dente. Drain pasta and add to the skillet with the tomatoes and spinach. Reheat on low heat, mix everything well, adjust seasoning with salt and pepper. Remove from heat.
4. Once pasta and veggies are off heat, add grilled shrimp back and drizzle with good quality olive oil just before serving, for an extra taste!